Welcome to the Hive!
SpiderOak is one of my favorite Zero-Knowledge companies. A few months ago, I was sent a promotion on “Supporting internet Privacy” and a locked price “Unlimited” storage amount on SpiderOak. Up until that point, I had not even heard of the company – or Zero-Knowledge for that matter. I jumped in to see what it was like, while I still sorted out my 1Tb Google Drive.
I pay for online storage, let me just lead with that disclaimer. Right now, I pay $10/month for 1Tb of storage with Google. SpiderOak offers 1Tb of storage for $12/month – a relatively small difference to support privacy on the internet.
SpiderOak is basically an encrypted version of Google Drive and Dropbox. When you install the SpiderOak application, it stores your encryption keys on your computer, and then allows you to select which files/folders you want to “Backup” to SpiderOak. From the app you can access those files and share them if you want. The second key function is the “Hive” which is a secure/synced folder between all SpiderOak devices on your account.
As a digital native, I like being able to have “Firewalled” shares on my work computers (as in, remove the device from my approved list, and those files are locked out).
The Video Review
The open source app Tutanota enables you to send end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody with a tip of your finger. Even emails that are being sent without end-to-end encryption and all your contacts are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
Only you with your password have access to your encrypted data, profiling is impossible. Tutanota combines security with ease-of-use so that everybody can use end-to-end encryption. Now you can take back your privacy easily!
- Register your free Tutanota account with 1 GB of free storage.
- Choose your email address from the supported domains @tutanota.com, @tutanota.de, @tutamail.com, @tuta.io and @keemail.me.
- Send and receive end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody, to other Tutanota users automatically and to external users secured with a password.
- Send and receive old-fashioned emails (not end-to-end encrypted). Even these emails are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
- Subject, content and attachments are automatically encrypted.
- Supports push notifications when receiving new emails.
- Auto-complete contact names as you type from your Tutanota or your phone contacts.
- Tutanota is open source so that anyone can verify its security by auditing the code.
The Tutanota app asks for very few permissions to keep your level of privacy to a maximum:
- Full network access: Used to send and receive emails.
- Receive data from the internet: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- View network connections: To find out if an internet connection exists.
- Read your contacts: This enables you to select recipients from your phone's contacts.
- Read from SD card: To allow adding of attachments from the SD card to emails.
- Control vibration: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- Deactivate sleeping mode: To notify you when you receive a new email.
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. Seehttp://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric algorithms. The form and manner of this distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object code and source code.
- Version 2.14.0
- Created & Sold by Tutao GmbH
- File Size: 12 MB
- Price: Free!
- This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad
- Age Rating: 4+