Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy
Alliances are shattering, and hasty diplomatic treaties are made in secrecy. A confrontation of the superpowers seems inevitable – only the outcome of the galactic ... Read more...
Eclipse is an epic board game. I have not had the pleasure of trying the physical game, but I have seen it played in videos. What an intense game!
Eclipse for the iPad is also a significant undertaking. If you have never seen the game before, think of it as a mixture of Carcassonne and Risk. Each player uses a turn to expand (placing tiles), build armies and fleets, or grow their economic might. As the game evolves, it becomes more and more difficult. Players change the physical board in each round, making more opportunities and removing play options each turn. I have seen strategies range from Isolationist to Scientific to Conquest. In my world, Eclipse fills a critical gaming niche: Hardcore SciFi Strategy.
I have only been able to engage in the game when I have had multiple hours to play. It took almost 40 minutes to walk through and understand the gameplay tutorial (which is time well spent). Eclipse is a great game, but as far as iOS games go, it is a bit too cumbersome for me and my style of gaming.
The Video Review
A game of Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. You will explore new star systems, research technologies, and build mighty spaceships. There are many potential paths to victory, so you need to plan your strategy considering the strengths and weaknesses of your species, while paying attention to the other civilizations' endeavors.
Eclipse other civilizations and lead your people to victory!
* Official iOS version of the 'Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy' boardgame
* Deep and challenging 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) gameplay
* 7 species with different strengths and weaknesses
* Customizable star systems, technology tree and ship designs
* Up to 6 players (human or AI)
* Asynchronous multiplayer with push notifications
* 3 AI difficulty levels
* In-game tutorial & manual
Eclipse received multiple awards:
* 2011 Charles S. Roberts Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Board Wargame Nominee
* 2011 Jogo do Ano Nominee
* 2012 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Winner
* 2012 Golden Geek Golden Geek Best Strategy Board Game Winner
* 2012 International Gamers Award - General Strategy: Multi-player Nominee
* 2012 JoTa Best Gamer Game Audience Award
* 2012 JUG Game of the Year Winner
* 2012 Ludoteca Ideale Winner
* 2012 Lys Passioné Winner
* 2012 Tric Trac Nominee
- Version 2.0.5
- Created by Big Daddy's Creations
- File Size: 141 MB
- Price: $6.99
- Age Rating: 9+